Friday, November 9, 2007

Easy Burrito Roll-Ups

Note: This is a slow-cooker recipe, requires a full day.  My mom emailed me this recipe.  The yield is more than 2, but I don't know what it is officially. I halved it and we had at least one full serving left over.  I am providing the halved version. More notes follow the recipe.
  • 1/2 of a 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (or a 7oz can if you can find one)
  • 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 Tbsp chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (from 7oz can)
  • 1 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 C 'thick n chunky style' salsa
  • 6 flour tortillas (10inch)
Toppings:
  • 1/2 C sour cream
  • 1 C shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • 1/4 C sliced ripe olives
  • 1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
Optional (see notes below):
  • chopped tomatoes
  • guacamole
1. In a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker, layer beans, chicken thighs, garlic, chiles, cumin and salsa.
2. Cover; cook on Low setting 7 to 8 hours.
3. About 15 minutes before serving, heat oven to 350°F. Wrap tortillas in foil; heat in oven about 15 minutes or until warm. Meanwhile, place all topping ingredients in individual serving dishes.
4. Remove chicken from slow cooker; place on large plate. With fork or potato masher, mash beans slightly to thicken sauce. Shred chicken with 2 forks; return to slow cooker and mix with bean mixture to moisten.
5. Have guests place warm tortilla on serving plate, spoon about 1/2 C chicken mixture onto tortilla; top with desired toppings. Fold side of tortilla over filling.

Robyn's notes: I can't eat black beans, so in order to be sure I could eat this, I didn't mash the beans at all. He still liked it, and it meant I could eat it just fine. The "Optional" items are things that he suggested might be good toppings to go with. I didn't heat the tortillas in the oven, and since they're easy to heat in the microwave, that's probably what I'd do next time. This was easy, and it was good.  On December 17th, 2007, I made this again, at full-size, as my contribution to our Office Holiday Potluck.  It was well-received and was easy to take, as I did step 1 before leaving the house, then plugged the slow-cooker in when I arrived.  We were having our potluck around 2pm and I start work at 7am, so the timing was just right.  

No comments: